OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2010

From:
Nathaniel Nye <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nathaniel Nye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2010 15:05:55 -0400
Hello,

I took advantage of a couple days off work/school to take my 4-yr-old son
for his first "real" camping trip.  We decided to go down to Tar Hollow
State Park south of Laurelville (just west of Hocking Hills).  We went with
my buddy (a non-birder, but I'm working on him!) and his 4-yr-old son, who
is best friends with my boy.  We all had a GREAT time....   but here's what
the birding community may be interested in.  Despite limited opportunity to
do any concerted birdwatching down there, I saw:

*Yellow-billed Cuckoo (1)
*Pine Warbler (2 males singing and fighting for territory)
 *Northern Harrier (1 male cruising over open fields just south of
Circleville)
*Indigo Bunting (2, including a beautiful male along roadside just north of
Circleville)
Pileated Woodpecker (2)
Northern Flicker (2)
Downy Woodpecker (1)
Eastern Towhee (1)
Song Sparrow (1)
Turkey Vulture (~30 between 2 days)

And other less notable sightings...  I was really hoping to see some Ruffed
Grouse, but no such luck.

Have a great day,

Nate Nye
Hilliard, OH