OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2010

Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 2010 12:17:32 -0500
Regarding the eagle nest at Pinery Narrows -- CVNP Station Rd, north of Rt
82 bridge -- that nest 'failed' last year, not permanently 'abandoned'. Once
the eagles gave up their nesting efforts, the area north along the tracks
was reopened. There is eagle activity at that site again this spring, so the
park has closed it. I am not sure if nesting is 'confirmed' -- they may have
closed it to encourage nesting. If nesting is confirmed, it will remain
closed through July, I believe. If the eagles fail to nest, it will likely
be reopened. Birders are torn between hoping the eagles nest and also hoping
they don't, as this is one of the few places to reliably see prothonotary
warblers in these parts. But, I suppose it is the sacrifice we must make...

Karen Gray
Copley/Summit Co.