OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2010

From:
"Coy, Patrick G." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Coy, Patrick G.
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 2010 20:07:15 -0400
Still good numbers (22) of Bufflehead on Lake Pippen this afternoon along with 86 Red-breasted Mergs on Lake Rockwell.

I also made a brief stop at Herrick Fen SNP, and found Frame "Lake" dried up. It was also dry when I was there in the late fall, in November. Does anyone know what the Nature Conservancy is doing there with re' to the mgmt of the water levels? It has hosted nesting Common Moorhen in the past, but certainly won't again unless some water is "turned on" upstream...

Species counts follow.

-Patrick Coy
Peninsula, OH

Lake Rockwell-Ravenna Rd 3/27/10 Number of species:     13
Canada Goose -14
Mallard -3
Ring-necked Duck -1
Common Merganser -11
Red-breasted Merganser - 86
Ruddy Duck - 6
Double-crested Cormorant - 88
Great Blue Heron - 1
Turkey Vulture - 1
Bald Eagle - 1
Herring Gull - 18
Tufted Titmouse - 2
Northern Cardinal - 1

Lake Pippen 3/27/10 Number of species:     5
Canada Goose - 12
Ring-necked Duck - 9
Bufflehead - 22
Common Merganser - 14
Tufted Titmouse - 1

Herrick Fen SNP 3/27/10 Number of species:  17
Canada Goose - 4
Mallard - 2
Turkey Vulture - 1
Red-tailed Hawk -1