OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2010

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 2010 09:00:42 -0400
        Among interesting sightings yesterday was one of three lesser
black-backed gulls at Findlay Reservoir #2 in Hancock County, almost 50
miles inland from Lake Erie. This time of year most gulls are in their
immaculate alternate plumages, and it was a rare treat to see this
species without all the smudging it usually wears in Ohio.
        This gull is an Old World species, recently visiting in increasing
numbers here in the New one. I don't know of any breeding records for
this gull in the US or Canada, other than a mixed nest with a herring
gull year before last in New England, I think it was. Nowadays there are
east coast reports of flocks of dozens of them every winter. There is a
small breeding colony, presumably recently established, in western
Greenland. We see lots of first-year birds in Ohio in fall/winter. Are
all these birds--thousands of them, probably-- flying back across the
Atlantic every spring to breed in the historical range, and then
returning here in the fall? Seems highly unlikely.
        Interestingly, we had seen three adult lesser black-backeds at this
same Findlay reservoir back in November, then of course in basic
plumage. I suppose they could be the same individuals. Read Peterjohn
(2001) to see how rare this species was away from Lake Erie less than
ten years ago. I urge observers to report these birds, especially away
from the lake and in odd seasons. Because the large gulls so benefit
from human garbage, their numbers have increased in recent decades, as
have their ranges, as have probably the number of hybrids. It's almost
as if the long-term separations of breeding colonies that accompanied
speciation are being quickly reversed as species that haven't met one
another for thousands of years are having reunions at landfills!
Worth keeping an eye on.
Bill Whan
Columbus