OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2010

From:
m shieldcastle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
m shieldcastle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 2010 12:58:09 -0400
Hopefully this isn't an April Fool's joke coming but the weather forecast
for next Wednesday night and Thursday appears to be a Tropical front moving
into Ohio. With predicted temperatures in the 70s and SSW wind there should
be a strong movement of short distance migrants moving into our region and
the cold Lake Erie should stop many on their journey making good observation
opportunities along Ohio's north coast. While of little to no consequences
to those colorful neotropical migrants still enjoying Mexico and Central
America there could be some surprises of possible over flight warblers. The
real players should be Song Sparrow, Swamp Sparrow, kinglets, rails, late
waterfowl, longspurs, pipits, Rusty Blackbirds, Brown Creeper, and a few
others. Look at your field guide for species with wintering ranges in the
southern US as they are often the Pre-wave migrants we appreciate so much
that set up the waves of late April and May.

On a side note, if visiting the Magee-Ottawa region watch for the breeding
pair of Sandhill Cranes in the fields south of SR 2 near the Magee entrance.
For up to date info follow Kenn Kaufman's birding pages
www.bsbo.org/birding/ and in the very near future BSBO's bander's Blog
http://bsbobirdbander.blogspot.com/.

Mark Shieldcastle
Research Director