OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2010

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2010 14:45:36 -0700
I went west to look for waterbirds today, hitting parts of Mahoning, Portage, Stark, and Columbiana Counties.  First stop was at Berlin Res., at the 224 causeway.  There were waterfowl to the south and east (off Bedell Rd. in Mahoning Co.) of the causeway.  Ponds and flooded fields around the reservoir held some birds too.  I didn't see any long-tailed ducks.  Berlin highlights were: 8 wood ducks, canvasback, redheads, ring-necked ducks, 3 greater scaup, 160 lesser scaup, buffleheads, red-breasted mergansers, double-crested cormorants, and 1 osprey (still) at the nest off Greenbower Rd.  While exploring the area I went by a dump/landfill operation at Oyster Rd/Courtney Rd.  This is between Berlin Res. and the flooded ag fields along Bandy Rd. in Knox Twp. (Columbiana Co.) where the lesser black-backed gulls etc. were seen over the weekend.  There were gulls (distant) swirling around the dump.  So evidently a number of gulls head SE from the
 reservoir at Berlin to feed during the day.  Anyways, I went to the Bandy Rd. area (just south of Rte. 62) in NW Columbiana Co. next.  Seen there were blue-winged teal, a small nesting colony of great blue herons, 29 Bonaparte's gulls, reduced numbers of ring-billed & herring gulls, and Am. pipit.  On to Walborn Res. next.  Again, birds were seen on ponds and flooded fields as well as the reservoir.  Seen were wood ducks, gadwall, blue-winged teal, ring-necked ducks, lesser scaups, red-breasted mergansers, double-crested cormorants, 1 common loon, and a few tree swallows.  I went by Deer Creek Res. also, it had only some more cormorants.  I headed back east towards home then, stopping in Beaver Twp. in Mahoning Co.  Present there were canvasback, ring-necked ducks, lesser scaup, buffleheads, hooded mergansers, ruddy ducks, horned grebe, and pied-billed grebe.  Of note the last few days near my home base in Poland Twp. in Mahoning Co. were n.
 shovelers, a pair of Cooper's hawks in aerial display, Am. kestrel, e. phoebe, chipping sparrow, and purple finch.  Craig Holt