OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2010

From:
Paul Dubuc <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Dubuc <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2010 22:10:22 -0400
A late afternoon visit to the Beach, North Pool Launch, Furnas Launch,
Hopewell, and Wellman Meadow areas around Caesar Creek.  Waterfowl were
conspicuously absent, but still had a few noteworthy sightings:

- Caspian Tern continues among Herring and Ring-billed Gulls at the Beach.

- Brown Thrashers (2) singing in red cedar scrub just to the north of the
Beach area.

- Chipping Sparrows (7) feeding along the roadside with Flickers and Robins
near the Beach parking area.  Brown Creepers (5), Field Sparrows, Eastern
Bluebirds (2), Hairy Woodpecker (1, F) also in the woods and lawns near the
access road.

- Merlin surveying from perch near foot of water tower along access road to
North Pool boat launch (construction continues on ramp area, vehicle traffic
only permitted as far as boat storage lot).

- Red-shouldered Hawk on low perch along Oregonia Road between Pioneer
Village and Rte. 73.

- Fox Sparrows (2) singing and foraging at turnoff from Clarksville Road for
Hopewell area.  Observed two Eastern Phoebes, also in this general area,
making forays down from low branches onto the narrow roadway back to the
lodge.  I don't recall seeing this species alight on asphalt before, and
they moved off before I could determine what they were doing.

- Towhees (22) were prominently perched and singing all over the place.
Fairly certain this is the highest day count I've ever had for this
species.  One near the Beach had a distinctive song with three distinct
notes before the trill.

Found an objective lens cover near the beach from a Kowa 880 scope.

Bird well,

Paul
--
Paul Dubuc,