OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2010

From:
Nathaniel Nye <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nathaniel Nye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2010 13:00:33 -0400
Good afternoon,

I took a walk this morning on a jogging trail near my house that loops
through several wooded lots, large weedy fields, and several ponds.
Highlight was a singing Fox Sparrow...I can't even remember the last time I
heard the song of a Fox Sparrow, but it was beautiful.  Very nice morning!
If you live in the Hilliard area, this is an excellent spot to bird if you
don't want to do a lot of driving.  I've seen some ridiculously cool birds
on this trail (Prairie Warbler, Cerulean Warbler, Connecticut Warbler (heard
only, but it was RIGHT THERE, the dang thing), Philadelphia Vireos,
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, Am. Woodcock, etc etc!).  Pardon my enthusiasm.
;)  Email me off-list if you want specific directions.

-Nate Nye

Location:     Hilliard Village Jogging Trail
Observation date:     3/31/10
Number of species:     40

Canada Goose     12
Wood Duck     2     Pair flew overhead
Mallard     10
Great Blue Heron     1
Turkey Vulture     1
Cooper's Hawk     1
Red-tailed Hawk     1
Killdeer     1
Mourning Dove     6
Red-bellied Woodpecker     2
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker     8     Everywhere!
Downy Woodpecker     6
Hairy Woodpecker     2
Northern Flicker     2
Eastern Phoebe     2
Blue Jay     3
American Crow     2
Carolina Chickadee     5
Tufted Titmouse     1
White-breasted Nuthatch     8
Brown Creeper     3
Carolina Wren     1
Golden-crowned Kinglet     2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet     1
American Robin     24
Brown Thrasher     1
European Starling     5
Eastern Towhee     2
Field Sparrow     1
Fox Sparrow     1     Singing beautifully on exposed perch deep in the
wooded lot, over a flooded boggy area.
Song Sparrow     7
White-throated Sparrow     1
Dark-eyed Junco     6