OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2010

From:
inga schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
inga schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2010 16:38:04 -0400
I've been going regularly to the cemetery to try and confirm
breeding activity for the red breasted nuthatch pair.  I watched one
bird excavating holes for almost two hours.  This time, one  hole was
actually large enough for the nuthatch to pop in and out.

I got out my scope to have a look for the peregrines on Tower East, and
was fortunate in timing....just as I got focused the pair mated.  The
male
flew away, but the female remained on her perch, preening.  I watched
for another half hour to see if he'd return with a nice pigeon, but
finally, I had
to pack up and leave.

Checked the nuthatch on the way out again, and the bird was diligently
digging away.

Also one brown creeper. He quickly flitted from one big, smooth sycamore
trunk to another down the row, finally settling in on a pine with more
promising
ridges.

Inga Schmidt