OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2010

From:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 2010 16:15:58 -0500
The Eurasian wigeon was still at TJ Evans Park in Newark this afternoon when I stopped by after work.  There were fewer ducks than I've seen recently, but he was with some canvasbacks, one American wigeon and several redheads.

For those who need directions:

T J Evans Park is a Newark city park located on the east side of State Route 13, up over the railroad tracks.  It is between the intersections of Waterworks Road (a traffic light) and 21st Street (a traffic light) on the north side of Newark.  The entrance is no longer marked - the sign somehow has disappeared over the winter.  There is a "north entrance" with a small sign (with a gate across it), but the area you want is the next entrance to the south (a very long block).  This is a beautiful bird, viewable at very close range from a wood deck that looks down on the old gravel pit.  Since he is still here this afternoon, he may stay around tomorrow, giving all the working folks a chance to see him.

Margaret Bowman
Licking Co., OH