OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2010

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 2010 09:28:56 -0500
Yesterday we were able to do our first bird pursuit of the year in Ohio. It was a rewarding one! After a nine week visit and birding adventure in Florida, we returned back to work in Ohio this past week. The Spotted Towhee, a new life bird for Ohio, was to much to resist. After a wonderful lunch in Mt. Hope we arrived at the Roy Miller farm west of Holmesville about 2:30PM. After about an hour, with only five of us present; James Yoder, who traveled eighteen miles on his bicycle, to see the bird for a second time, located the elusive female by the fence line located behind the ravine. Views with a scope were attainable. What a way to start the year at home. The host couple were gracious and participated in the excitement. They, so far in eight days, have had 325+ visitors sign their guest book. It was noted that some birders would not sign unless they saw the Towhee. The host couple definitely know how to deal with people, they have a remarkable 48 grandchildren!!! On a tip, we went after our second highlight bird of the day on the way home. Thirty minutes away near New Bedford, we got great views of a Long-eared Owl with the help of two Amish ladies. They said the Owl has been in this tree for at least four weeks. On a Towhee negative note, last evening was the first that it had not shown up at the ground feeding station by the house at 5PM; to the disappointment of about ten birders. When the bird was at the house, the hosts accommodated with viewing from inside. If you try for the Towhee, it has been requested that no one goes beyond the fence lines while looking for the hopefully still present visiting celebrity. Ohio birding! You have to love it!!!

Bob and Denise Lane

Damascus,Ohio