OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2010

From:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2010 06:18:27 -0500
Sent on behalf of John Lennon, Columbus Ohio:

The Eurasian wigeon was still there yesterday, a couple hours after the
original posting, but took some work to find.  Saying that TJ Evans park is
not well marked is an understatement, but the directions were very good.
When I arrived, the park was empty, except for an older fellow reading a
paper in his car.  I tried an overlook and saw a variety of ducks, but no
wigeon, so I traipsed through the snow, which wasn't easy going.  About
halfway along the open water, I looked back to see if the wigeon were in the
corner under the overlook.  They were not, but there were several people on
the overlook, and I knew I was being cursed because I was driving the birds
away from them.  I am sorry about that.  Had I known anyone else was there,
I'd have taken a different route.  As I moved along, I did see a nice
variety of ducks - maybe ten redheads, several canvasback, one coot, half a
dozen ringnecks, several hooded mergansers and three American wigeon, plus
lots of Canada geese and mallards.  I was about to give up, but right at the
end of the  pond, which doglegs off a little to the right as you look at it
from the overlook, was a lone Eurasian wigeon, against the bank.  Had I been
walking on grass, I would probably have missed it, but I think the crunching
of the snow spooked it out from the bank.  It joined half a dozen of those
domestic geese that look like greater white fronteds and started swimming
back towards the overlook.  However, when I got back to the overlook,
concerned that my tires had been slit and fearful I might be beaten to death
with spotting scopes, they had not seen it, so it must have veered off into
hiding again.  And it was a beautiful bird, and as usual, the book doesn't
do it justice.  The patch on its head was a richer gold and it had a rosey
cast to the darker feathers on the body.  Anyway, it seemed a little shy,
might be out of sight and you may want to wear boots, if not cross country
skis.

The spotted towhee was also seen at the Miller's feeder shortly before five,
but I was late getting there because of the wigeon detour and missed that
one.  The Millers were very accommodating and were bringing people into
their living room to watch the feeder.  They seemed proud that their bird
had made the internet, and were surprised that 92 people had shown up
Saturday, although none of their neighbors had come over.  They said shortly
after seven am or shortly before five pm seemed to be the best times.

John Lennon

Franklin Cty