OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2010

From:
Joe Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 2010 14:50:30 -0500
Hi Folks,

Thank you all so much for all your input on my new binocs.  I would love to be able to report the local West Licking County birding data to this birding e-site and hope to do so soon.  Your advice is ever so helpful and indeed it is a struggle for me to decide what the uncommon birds are that I am looking at.

I will try to meet with the birding group on the 27th.  I am supposed to be a bridge partner that day at a regional tournament but may be able to get out of it.  I don't want to hurt any feelings, so I may have to look for the meeting and field trip in April.

I am an avid reader of Rob Thorn, Charles Bombaci, Margaret Bowman, others and some of the Lake Erie birders.  It is so much fun to read your emails, then look in my Birds of Ohio or on Wikipedia for the birds you are reporting on.

sincerely, cheers, judojoe

joe d phillips
pataskala & columbus

---- Paul Gardner <[log in to unmask]

> wrote:
> Hey Joe,

When I started birding eight years ago, I bought the same binoculars. (Although I think they have been upgraded and renumbered since then). My thinking was that (1) I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on a toy for a hobby I wasn't sure I'd stick with; and (2) I knew so little about birds that my ability to ID was going to be constrained by my ignorance, not by the quality of my optics. The binoculars worked out well. I used them for a couple of years, then upgraded to something in the middle of the pack, quality-and-price-wise, before eventually buying some top of the line Nikons used on eBay. Of course, my binoculars aren't top of the line anymore, since the factory constantly improves them. They will be good enough for me for a very long time, however.

The best way to improve your birding skills is to bird with people who are more experienced. There is a group in Columbus, the Columbus Avid Birders, that meets one Saturday each month to go out together birding. Everyone is welcome to join us. We like having beginners along. The next trip is March 27. We meet at the Worthington Square Mall at 5:30 AM. If you can make the early trip over from Pataskala, you're welcome to join us. You can find the schedule for our outings on the Columbus Audubon webpage under the menu for "groups".

Happy birding,
Paul

Paul Gardner
Columbus, OH