OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2010

Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 2010 20:05:04 -0500
I took advantage of the great weather and absence of other obligations today and headed out to check an area of the Hoover Nature Preserve. I headed to Hoover Meadows (off Sunbury Road southeast of Galena, Delaware County). I assumed the sun and warmer weather had melted the snow in the parking area - wrong. Apparently the parking area and the trails get more than their share of shade as both had more snow than the recent winter Olympics. I entered the parking area by following the ruts left by the ranger’s truck. Last week a snowmobile would have been needed. The trails were not much better but with the warmer weather and rain predicted the trail will reappear at some point in time.

I headed back through the first field where there were only sparrows. Included were American Tree, Song, white-throated and Swamp Sparrows. This was not an auspicious beginning. At the break between the first and second fields things picked up a little. The first thing I found was a Sharp-shinned Hawk eating a recent catch and a pair of Red-tailed Hawks doing a spring “I like you” dance in the air. The small trees and bushes were full of Eastern Bluebirds. Other birds flitting about included Carolina Chickadees, Northern Cardinals (great color against the snow cover) and American Goldfinches.

At the second pond I caught some movement in the reed grass, possibly an American Woodcock, but was detracted by the appearance of a Northern Shoveler drake claiming ownership to the very small area of open water. He eyed me warily but wasn’t about to surrender his turf. Mixed in the grass were Red-winged Blackbird males staking their claims to territories before the females arrive. Others at the second pond included numerous Song Sparrows and 4 or 5 Swamp Sparrows. At the north tree line was a Red-shouldered Hawk eyeing the activity about the pond.

The area from the beginning of the third pond to the line of old dead trees at its eastern end was a bed of activity for Eastern Bluebirds, chickadees, titmice, Song Sparrows, Downy Woodpeckers and several Common Grackles. At the line of dead trees I was greeted by 5 Red-headed Woodpeckers. Likely the pair that nested there last year and a few of their offspring. The Red-headed Woodpeckers are in brilliant color and very active. The thickets along this area had White-throated Sparrows, Yellow-rumped Warblers, Carolina Wrens and a multitude of American Robins. Further back on the trail I heard a Barred Owl calling from within the undeveloped area off the north side of the trail. No luck in locating him/her.

As I returned to the front of Hoover Meadows I heard a Killdeer calling in the next field and the first Spring Peepers calling. The list of species is short (I totaled 29 species), but they are signs that spring is arriving at last.

Charlie Bombaci