OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2010

From:
M & D Dunakin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
M & D Dunakin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2010 14:19:05 -0500
Greetings from the thawing tundra of NW Ohio!

Around 12:30 p.m. today, Micki and I discovered a very nice male Eurasian Wigeon swimming about with a few of his American cousins today on the north pond of the Paulding Sewage Lagoons.  This is the first of that species I have seen in Paulding County since 1982!  The ice was about 60% thawed on the north pond, and there were also Pintails, Gadwall, L. Scaup, Ring Necks, Ruddies, Green wing Teal, and Shovelers present, though none in large numbers.

The Paulding sewage lagoons can be found on Page 34 of the Delorme Atlas about 1 1/2 miles northeast of Paulding.  Index location is between C and D north and south and number 3 east and west.  They show up as two blue rectangles next to Flat Rock Creek.  Anyone wishing further details can contact me by email or telephone at 419-258-4951.

Bird long and prosper,
Doug & Micki Dunakin
Antwerp, O.