OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2010

From:
inga schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
inga schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2010 18:47:32 -0500
At Frohring, where the little marsh is rapidly melting, four killdeer
have
returned. Not much else yet, except for the handful of red winged
blackbirds, in full voice.

On the way home I stopped at the Geauga Park Property on Country
Lane.  I didn't see the resident great horned owl, but I did gather up
a pocket
full of pellets from under his perch in the evergreens. (Tomorrow's
entertainment.)

A couple of turkey vultures circled overhead.  They arrived in our
neighborhood with yesterday's influx.

On my own property I finally walked back into the woods to
check the big nest in the beeches.  It has been used by great horned
owls
in the past, but the last few years only red tailed hawks have used it.
After a half hour wait, a red tail flew to the nest and did a bit of
rearranging.

(These three properties are all within two miles of each other and all
adjoin the power line corridor.)

Inga Schmidt
Chagrin River Road Geauga/Cuy Co line