From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 2010 21:35:13 -0400
An American bittern was found at the Lake Metroparks Girdled Road
Reservation today.  The bittern was found in a tiny area of cattails on the
edge of a created wetland off the Radcliffe Road entrance.  There was some
work going on at the wetland and the bird flushed into a field to the east.
I left at that time and the workers also left so the bird may return.
Habitat is limited at that wetland however.  Other birds seen were a sora,
blue-winged teal, mallard, Canada goose, American coot, numerous tree
swallows and a northern rough-winged swallow.

To get to this area take I-90 to Route 44, go south on  Route 44 to Auburn
Road, turn east on Auburn Road and then turn onto Route 608 and take that
south to Radcliffe Road, turn left on Radcliffe and take it a quarter mile
to the park entrance.  Take the trail north a hundred yards or so to the
wetland.

John Pogacnik
4765 Lockwood Road
Perry, OH 44081