Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 2010 16:54:24 -0400
Linda and I took time this afternoon to check out Old Sunbury Road at the Hoover Nature Preserve (Delaware County). I had a double goal in mind, first to check my nest boxes for damage over the winter, and second to look for any new migrants. The nest boxes did okay as I spotted one (S-7) hanging loose from its tree, otherwise the boxes in this area are intact and awaiting the return of the PROW’s later this month. Bird activity was only moderate, but that was expected in the mid-afternoon. The highlight was a Merlin that was hunting at the Bluebird Field. It began with a circular flight around the nest boxes spooking a House Sparrow (big mistake for the sparrow) and then a quick grass-top chase, catching up and nailing the sparrow in flight. Other new arrivals included Golden-crowned Kinglets, Brown Creepers and Hermit Thrushes.

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve

=