Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 2010 10:13:56 -0400
Sunday, after being sick for a week, I finally got a chance to get out and
see some of what the rest of you have been seeing...  although I got a late
start I still got some good birds and numerous FOYs. (*FOYs asterisked)

Cuyahoga Valley National Park - Tree Farm Trail - Horseshoe Pond trailhead
on Major Rd, Peninsula

Highlights:

*Pine warblers (2) singing in pine trees on either side of lake pavilion.
Present when I arrived at 11am and also when I left at 3pm, singing
continually.
*Many, many ruby crowned kinglets in glorious full song
*Golden crowned kinglet - at least 6
*Red breasted nuthatch - lost count there were so many - you can see them at
this spot year 'round, but Sunday had a bumper crop.
pileated woodpecker (3 heard)
eastern phoebe - 1 in usual spot by the pavilion
*yb sapsucker (1f)
northern flicker (1 heard)
*winter wren 1
*hermit thrush 1
eastern towhees everywhere, calling
*chipping sparrow several
*many field sparrows
pair of juncos high in maple tree gleaning something from spent flower buds
(a chipping sparrow joined them in their feast)
numerous blue jays in fine feather
1 Mystery Bird -- flew in, perched high in tree, sang two stanzas of song,
flew off in undulating flight. Approx bunting sized, song had 'burry'
quality, similar to yellow throated vireo or scarlet tanager, sang in two
musical phrases of 4-5 notes each, repeated 5 sec interval. THOUGHTS...??

Interesting FYI : those annoying gnats that fly in your face and eyes seem
repelled by menthol cough drops! This theory must be tested further...

Karen Gray
Copley Twp/Summit Co