From:
Nathaniel Nye <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nathaniel Nye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 2010 10:44:42 -0400
Hello,

I took another morning walk on the Hilliard Village jogging trail (suburb
west of Columbus), this time with my son.  I got a very similar list to a
couple days ago, but was quite surprised to find a pair of Red-breasted
Nuthatches feeding in a couple of conifers (firs, I think, small cones
pointing upward).  That is the first time I have seen them in Columbus other
than at Greenlawn Cemetery.  Seems kinda late for a R-b Nuthatch, but there
was no question about the ID...I saw them both very well with binoculars.
Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers were even more abundant than 2 days ago (when I
saw 8)....this morning I am estimating 13 within a 1.5 hour walk.  Counting
was challenging because there were so many, keeping track of individuals was
tough.  There were several times that I could see 3-5 sapsuckers from one
vantage point! (once there were 3 on the same trunk!)

I also saw 2 Fox Sparrows, a Hermit Thrush, and 2 (poss 3) Brown Thrashers,
among other expected finds.

Yesterday morning at Battelle-Darby Creek MP I saw 2 Hermit Thrushes, a
Winter Wren, about 10 Tree Swallows, several Phoebes, a pair of Bluebirds,
and others.

Good birding!

Nate Nye