From:
Mark Shieldcastle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 2010 16:15:21 -0400
Summer in April again!  Another weather front has moved into the Ohio region
that should bring new arrivals over night.  While not the classic system
associated with major fall outs for Ohio's marsh region (Low over
Arkansas/Oklahoma). This High in the Carolinas should get things going
tomorrow. Wind shifts occurred very early this morning and brought with it
increases in Hermit Thrush and Ruby-crowned Kinglets. It also has moved the
majority of Fox Sparrow, Winter Wren, and Golden-crowned Kinglets northward.
The first migration of Blue Jays was noted as well. Even with the unusual
weather pattern we recorded 59 species at the Navarre Banding Station today.
Check the Bander's Blog for details      http://bsbobirdbander.blogspot.com/

That total of 59 is with no field habitat and limited views for waterfowl
and raptors as we conduct the banding operation. It may be realistic to
observe 75-100 species tomorrow to Sunday here in the western basin. The
Ottawa NWR auto tour is Saturday and will provide ample opportunity to pick
up wetland species. That, with the Magee Boardwalk and other sites in the
region could make the century mark a goal in April. Check Kenn Kaufman's
birding blog for updates and maps of hotspots in the region to vary habitat
sampling.       http://www.bsbo.org/birding/

We should still be one major Low pressure cell away from the First Wave of
neotropical migrants but this movement could see a surprising number of "one
ofs". Since the birds don't read the book, we'll just have to get out and
see what they think of "Summer in April".

As a side note several Green Darners were observed in the marsh today.

Mark Shieldcastle
Research Director

Black Swamp Bird Observatory

13551 W SR 2