Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2010 00:59:54 -0400
On my way in to work today I was surprised to see an Osprey low over a recently cleared field on the new part of Wilson Road near the "Flying J"
Gas Station/truck stop at the I-71 and rt. 36/37 delaware exit. It nabbed a stick out of the field and carried it higher and higher up to what I assume is a cellphone tower right beside I-71. I pulled over and grabbed my binoculars - and sure enough there was another osprey already up there waiting. I watched as the same bird came back down and grabbed another stick. Certainly not an ideal situation for these birds to be nesting here, though there are some decent borrow pit ponds around. Not sure how bad the cell tower signals and waves are going to be for this pair if they stick around, or even if the cell phone company can allow such activity on their tower. I'll be keeping my eye out for these guys since they are right by my exit.

At work today I had a few birds to add to the McNulty's list of birds in Blacklick Woods Metro Park. Around the "Button Bush" trail I had a couple singing PINE SISKIN higher in the trees, as well as some other migrants. Heres a list of migrants and recent arrivals:
Pine Siskin
Ruby-crowned Kinglets - many singing away
Blue-gray Gnatcatchers
Winter Wren                  - also singing
Brown Thrasher - probably a resident
Hermit Thrush
White-throated Sparrow
Brown Creeper
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Eastern Phoebes - have pretty much completed their nests on either side of the nature center
Good Birding!
Ben Warner
Metro Park Naturalist at Blacklick Woods.