From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 2010 12:38:24 -0400
        Thanks to Scott for yet another important update on the Jefferson
County nesting ravens. Scott found these birds four years back. It would
be interesting to know why the Division of Forestry didn't know of this
nest site before allowing the area to be logged, and, if they did, how
they justified going ahead with disturbing the area for a few skids of
skinny logs.
        All observers seemed to agree these birds were skittish, and hence
extremely unlikely to tolerate logging next to their nest site in a
strip-mine highwall. There are two major subspecies of ravens in North
America: the one found in the NE (ours, C.c. principalis) is noticeably
larger, in wing span and especially bill dimensions, and is not so
tolerant of humans. The one found in the west, C. c. sinuatus, is a lot
more tolerant---this is the one notorious for brazenly stealing balls
from golf courses in California--and is noticeably smaller. In my first
trip to California, I routinely passed them off as crows, they were so
small, and seemed so ubiquitous near towns, etc. I have set museum
specimens of sinuatus beside those of American crow and found no
noticeable difference in overall length, but principalis is a lot longer.
        Have the Jefferson County nesters abandoned the area? It seems they've
abandoned the old nest site, otherwise they'd be easy enough to find
there by this time. Sightings over the past year or more in the area
have involved ravens seen fairly close by, but thus far there are no
signs of nesting. There were five nestlings--I and others saw six birds
overall on one occasion--so the survivors will now presumably be looking
for nest sites, along with their parents. They should have found one by
now. If you find one, don't count on it going undisturbed, even if you
notify ODNR.
Bill Whan
Columbus