From:
Liz Marchio <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Liz Marchio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2010 05:02:26 -0700
Interesting that they are hovering about actual flowers/plants. I say this only because my limited experience with carpenter bees (or what I believe is a species of carpenter bee) is in urban areas. Ohio State's campus in Columbus is inundated with them this time of year and they chose to hover over and protect wooden benches dotting the campus. It's actually quite interesting to watch their threats to other bees- I've watched them fight and it's entertaining albeit a bit threatening to the people around them. Being allergic to bee stings makes me a bit wary, but hearing that the Eastern Carpenter males are sting-less puts me more at rest.

Thanks for adding this to the listserve- I enjoy the OT comments. We're all naturalists at heart, aren't we? Happy Birding!
Liz

- Liz Marchio