From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 2010 10:38:11 -0400
Dear Maggie, and others:
     Those of us who payed close attention during our formal education
are tempted to think classes are always the best way to learn complex
things. I now think butts-in-the-chairs classes about bird ID are pretty
much useless for beginners, and that's why it's hard to find one. It's
not hard for a motivated person to find books and internet resources for
the kind of knowledge you get there.
     It's the field trips you need. There is no faster way to learn than
to work with your local birds alongside someone who knows things you
want to learn. When you see a thrasher in Columbus, you may need to know
why it isn't a wood thrush, not whether it might be a long-billed
thrasher. At some point you need someone who can show you how a crow
flies differently than a vulture or a hawk, or give you a cute mnemonic
to remember a bird song, or what to expect in a certain habitat.
     There are lots of people who know these things, and are eager--not
just grudgingly willing, or for pay--to share their knowledge. As
someone pointed out to me me the other day, birders are outdoors people
who want to share things; hunters and trappers and fishers, by contrast,
want to keep secrets. Because birders don't need to possess things, the
joy of sharing comes naturally. And if you want to learn about birds in
a lonely way, you have a long and rocky row to hoe, but it's been done.
     So for Maggie and others, your question should be "How do I get in
touch with local birders?" There are many organizations that schedule
outings led by knowledgeable people. Audubon societies and local bird
clubs are a good choice. Your local parks system has many bird walks,
etc. Go along on a few of these, ask questions, and you will learn about
more outings, and probably meet people from your neighborhood who will
invite you along on theirs. And if you see someone else birding when you
go out, strike up a conversation, share information, or just ask
questions. It's a rare birder who won't be delighted to help, and you
are likely to learn a lot more spending time with birds and birders than
in classes or in the library or online.
Bill Whan
Columbus

M Scott wrote:
 > Help with ID (of course) When I looked at a picture of a black throated
 > green warbler, my unidentified bird looked just the opposite of this!
black