From:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 2010 16:15:49 -0400
Hi Everyone,

I had the opportunity take a quick look at Erie Street Cemetery about
1 PM today--in the warmth and sun!!!

There were many American Robins and Northern Flickers. Also, lots of
European Starlings and a few House Sparrows. In addition, the
expected fly-overs of Ring-billed Gulls and one or two Red-tailed
Hawks calling, but not seen. Several American Goldfinch singing.

Also, amidst what I can only describe as a flock of Song Sparrows
(there were at least a dozen in one spot, and probably twice that
number in smaller groups throughout) and continued good numbers of
Dark-eyed Juncos, I had one Savannah Sparrow.

Also, two Brown Thrashers and one Eastern Towhee.

For those who don't know this spot, it's a small cemetery in downtown
Cleveland that is often very good in the migrations. It's the only
green spot of any size left in the area, and fairly sheltered, and it
has on a small scale what larger cemeteries also have--bushes and
trees that provide nice shelters, but relatively easy good views of
the birds in and around them. It's small--it's a rectangle that runs
from East 14th Street to East 9th Street (opposite the stadium of the
Cleveland professional baseball team), with an entrance on each end--
you can drive in and park within. It's bounded by Erie Court on the
north and Brownell Court on the south--it runs parallel to Carnegie
Avenue, a half-block north of Carnegie.

Best wishes,

Steve

Steve Cagan, photographer