From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 2010 16:55:52 -0400
This is prime time for this rarely-seen bird. Troy Shively just called
to report he'd visited the Mercer County site where dozens were found by
a few doughty explorers, then seen by many, last year. The fields had
been plowed. This seems to be the case across the state, where favorable
conditions have enabled farmers to plow early.
        The other day Laura and I cruised some back roads in SW Franklin
County (DeL 68:B-1), looking for Smith's longspurs. These roads, decades
ago, routinely hosted as many as 200 Smith's on April days in adjacent
fields, but were eventually abandoned by birders (if not the birds?) and
have received precious little attention for the last thirty years.
        Things have not changed all that much out there, it seemed. There were
a number of promising-looking spots: fields still unplowed, with plenty
of matted weedy material among the cornstalks. One huge tract along the
north side of Zuber Rd where it zigzags N/S, not a corn field, was
especially interesting, but some unanticipated traffic (these roads are
deserted most of the time), prevented a careful look. I offer this
potentially fruitful area for the adventurous over the next week or two
(other good roads in the area are Young and Seeds). These are all close
to exit 97 on I-71. Smith's are showing alternate plumage now.
Good luck to all,
Bill Whan
Columbus