From:
Greg Links <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Links <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2010 03:54:30 -0700
Gary and others,

Seeing a Red-throated Loon (let alone 3 along the causeway) at Magee would be just shy of miraculous.  This is an extremely rare bird in NW Ohio with very few records of any kind.  I have tried to think of alternatives but am frankly having a difficult time coming up with some (Horned Grebe?).  The purpose of this note is certainly not to challenge you or "call you out".  But a friend emailed me this morning saying he couldn't talk his buddy out of driving down from Pontiac to look for these birds.  On the chance that others were going to chase this sighting, I just wanted to try to clarify what you saw in the form of field marks, behavior, etc.

Greg Links
Somewhere Near Toledo