From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 2010 14:32:27 -0700
I was out from morning until dark yesterday, mostly in Ashtabula Co.  I started at Conneaut harbor around 9:30 AM, which is after Gabe and Emil were there.  Of interest were: Am. wigeon, lesser scaups, bufflehead, red-breasted mergansers, turkey vultures, Am. kestrel, killdeer, 300 Bonaparte's gulls, 10 great black-backed gulls, and 3 tree swallows.  There was still a little ice around the harbor area!  I was able to drive out on the spit, beware of soft sand though.  Lake Erie seemed way down (even accounting for the south winds) for this time of year.  I went to Malek Park in Conneaut next, and spent several hours at the hawkwatch there.  It was my first serious attempt at a real hawkwatch ever, and I really enjoyed it.  I knew I wasn't very good at it yet either, so it was a great learning experience with the excellent cast of birders gathered there.  In the afternoon I headed towards Orwell Marsh in southwestern Ashtabula Co.  I passed by a
 lot of good rural habitat and found some good birds along the way: 4 Am. kestrels (including a pair) in Monroe and Denmark Twps.; a hunting n. harrier, also in Denmark Twp.; 4 Wilson's snipes in Williamsfield Twp. and 8 more in Wayne Twp.; and 2 migrating adult bald eagles in Wayne Twp.  Orwell Marsh had n. shoveler, green-winged teal, 8 greater yellowlegs, lesser yellowlegs, tree swallows, and e. meadowlark.  At the end of the day I looked around in Coitsville Twp. in NE Mahoning Co.  Birds included 4 Wilson's snipes, field sparrow, e. towhees, and e. meadowlark.  At dusk I had great luck hearing the peents of Am. woodcocks as I idled around the area; 8 calling birds at 6 spots in only 20 minutes!  Craig Holt, Lowellville