From:
Marti Ligocki <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marti Ligocki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2010 17:53:35 -0700
We're reading Ohio-Bird in Salem, Oregon in preparation for a trip to Ohio starting next week.

We're more than a block from any ponds, but we have mallards visit our tray feeders front and back regularly.  They also take drinks from the bird baths front and back.

The tray feeder in the backyard is near the base of a sequoia that has a squirrel feeder on it.  The mallards usually fly into the yard to the east or north of this tree, check out the ground under the squirrel feeder and then proceed west to the tray.  We see them from September through early June.  Once the weather heats up, they disappear. Clearly the opposite of fair weather birds.

Of course, these are west coast Mallards and perhaps not behaving normally due to the humidity.

Marti and Lew Ligocki

P.S. We just had a yard first - a Cooper's Hawk dropped into the front yard, walked around a bit and then flushed two birds, we think dark-eyed juncos (Oregon race) from the holly that borders the sidewalk.  Outcome unclear.  We think dinner got away, because we didn't see that the Cooper's flew away with anything, but we didn't have a clear view.  We've had Sharpie's several times, but this is the first Cooper's observed since January, 2001.