From:
CJ McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
CJ McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 2010 00:25:46 -0400
I spent some time at the Magee causeway on Monday, and so no loons.  There
were some Double-crested Cormorants swimming with just heads and necks
visible, and a few Pie-billed Grebes and many Coots.   There were some
ducks, but nothing I could see being confused for a loon.  I met another guy
from Michigan at the boardwalk who said he had spent some time looking for
the loons -- including on the lake -- also without success.  Of course, they
could have been present the day before and flown by the time we arrived.

The boardwalk was passerine-poor.  The only warblers I saw were many
Yellow-rumped and a few Pines.  Golden-crowned Kinglets and Rusty Blackbirds
were still present, and Blue-grey Gnatcatchers and House Wrens are beginning
to appear.  There were many Ruby-crowned Kinglets and a fair number of
Hermit Thrushes.  Aside from a couple of phoebes I didn't see any
flycatchers; nor did I see any vireos.

There were a lot of ducks on the ponds at the end of Veler Rd., including
Northern Pintails and many Northern Shovelers, and both teal.

Jim McDonald
Ypsilanti, MI