From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 2010 21:33:52 -0400
I spent part of the morning hiking around Walnut Creek Park / Bareis Preserve in this SE Columbus suburb.  This is a relatively new nature park along Walnut Creek that includes a lot of open field and overgrown field habitat.  It's an uncommon habitat mix in such an urban/suburban county, and it attract a nice subset of field and successional birds.  Walking the edges here this morning netted a good selection of temperate field and edge birds,including

House Wren - 3+ singing
Mockingbird - 1-2 on territory
Brown Thrasher - 1 singing
Field Sparrows - 6+ singing
Chipping Sparrows - 2 singing
Grasshopper Sparrows - 2 singing (FOS for me)
Savannah Sparrows - 2 singing
E.Meadowlark - 2 singing
Redwings - 5-10

This list was in addition to the typical birds for small woodlots (of which there is one next to the fields) and marshes (there's a good one between the park and Canal WInchester Middle School).  With all these habitats crammed into a relatively small area, this spot reeks of potential.  Last year we had Willow Flycatchers and Yellow-br.Chats on territory here, and we'll have to see what shows up this year.