From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 2010 08:19:43 -0400
Forwarding this for Jack Stenger.
BW

"Yesterday afternoon (April 23) I birded Big Island Wildlife Area in
Marion County.  Big Island is loaded with shorebirds and other water
birds. Highlights include large numbers of common shorebirds, 2 WILLETS,
1 American Golden-Plover, 2 Common Moorhens, and Virginia Rail, Sora,
and multiple lingering ducks. Below is a list of the best shorebird
locations.
    - The Conservation Reserve Program property half a mile north of the
SR    203 and SR 739 intersection.  The habitat consists of one small
pool that    held 2 pectorals, 3 Lesser Yellowlegs, and the golden plover.
    - The impoundments along the north side of Larue Prospect Rd.
Viewing    was difficult here, but there were many shorebirds tucked
throughout in the wet grass.  They were easiest to count when they flew.
Here there were 21 Greater Yellowlegs, 15 Lesser Yellowlegs, 7 Least
Sandpipers, and 15 Pectoral sandpipers.  The pair of moorhens and 45
Ring-necked Ducks were also here.
    - The impoundment along the north side of SR 95 1.5 miles east of New
    Bloomington. to see this park in a pull-off on the south side of the
    road. You can walk up towards the railroad tracks to see above the
    levy. This was the best shorebird habitat as there's a lot of mud
exposed. There were 120 pectorals present, 1 Dunlin, 12 Greater
Yellowlegs, and 8 Lesser Yellowlegs.
    - The skypools at the intersection of Herr Rd and SR 95. Close views
of 45 pectorals, but not much diversity. Habitat is extensive, though.
Jack Stenger
Delaware, OH"

P.S. Recently I posted that the Franklin County record for American
golden-plovers was 500+. I have since found out that Milton Trautman
found 2000+ (and an equal number of pectoral sandpipers) near Galloway
SW of town on 7-8 April 1956; large flocks were noted elsewhere that spring.

Bill Whan
Columbus