From:
"Lehman, Jay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lehman, Jay
Date:
Sun, 25 Apr 2010 00:52:10 -0400
I started the day at Armeleder Park on the east side of Cincinnati, where I found Wood Duck 1 m, Blue-winged Teal 4 (3 m, 1f), Solitary Sandpiper 14 (9 in bean field, 4 flyover, 1 along the river), Chimney Swift 1, Warbling Vireo 1, Northern Rough-winged Swallow 7, Barn Swallow 2, House Wren 2, yellow warbler 1, Yellow-rumped 6.

At Firebird Lane off of Union Centre Boulevard west of I-75, I found Solitary Sandpiper 1.

I continued north to meet John Habig and Rick Asamoto at Englewood Metro Park.  On my way into the park from Rt. 40, I found White-eyed Vireo 1 singing at the first parking lot on the left right after entry.  Later John and Rick could not find this bird.  I continue down the hill into the park and turned left to the parking area at the Frisbee gulf course, where I found a beautiful male Rose-breasted Grosbeak.  It was first calling the thin squeak like a sticking door and then sang softly.  Later both John and Rick found this bird.  I did not find the Great Egret, Green Heron and Bank Swallows that John and Rick found.

John and I continued to Big Island WA in search of shorebirds and the Eurasian Wigeon seen earlier today.  We did find lots of Pectoral Sandpipers, some Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, Solitary Sandpipers and Wilson's Snipe.  Hopefully John can post about the numbers.  Our last stop was along La Rue-Prospect Road west of Espyville Road.  On the south side of La Rue-Prospect, in the vicinity of the last three gravel pull offs on the north side and before a white barn on the left (south) side, I heard Upland Sandpipers calling the chattering/almost clucking call.  This was after 7:00 pm just before the rain started and continued during the rain.  I heard at least three birds calling, and once there was the rising and falling whirring/whistled "song".  John also said he heard the song once.  The field where we heard the Upland Sandpipers has low green vegetation (clover or alfalfa) to the east and high yellowed grass to the west and is opposite the last three gravel pull offs before the white barn.  The birds seemed to be near the far side of the field.  The light was fading fast and rain came fast, so we were unable to see them.  John called Troy Shivley who said that Upland Sandpipers were in this area several years ago.
Jay

Jay G. Lehman
Cincinnati, OH