From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Apr 2010 17:26:32 -0400
A carload of us went up to see the ruff at BIWA; Dan and Doreene were
still there, having watched the bird fly from one body of water to
another near Herr Rd. About ten of us looked around, and finally Dan
refound it near the small ponds to the *south* of 95
        So the bird moves around. The place from which we all watched it was
atop the railroad bed four telephone poles west of Herr. We put a big
arrow made of railroad spikes across the ties there pointing toward the
location, for what that's worth. The bird is black above, white below,
divided at mid breast, and there is rufous on the upper throat and a
complete white ring around the bill base, and red-orange legs. It was
chasing off yellowlegs, occasionally fluffing its ruff.
        A stunning creature. If you go, prepare to inspect all the ponds with
care, and be careful of auto and train traffic. East of Herr is BIWA
land, and there are dike trails around it; a pull-off is on the east
side of this area where the treeline ends at 95.
good luck if you go,
Bill Whan