From:
Mark Shieldcastle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 25 Apr 2010 18:10:54 -0400
Research along Lake Erie indicates we should expect the First Wave of
Neotropical migrants to arrive around 24-25 April (each wave generally has 2
pulses). The dominants of White-throated Sparrow (male), Hermit Thrush,
Mrytle Warbler (male), and Ruby-crowned Kinglet (male). While present the
wave species has been in low numbers (except the White Throat) in the Lake
Erie marshes. See
http://www.bsbo.org/passerine/passerine_migration_monitoring.htm for more on
the wave information. The important weather conditions to form a good
movement into Ohio is a Low pressure cell over Oklahoma/Arkansas radiating
warm fronts bringing tropical winds up the Mississippi and Ohio river
valleys. A Low positioned itself last Thursday/Friday where we needed it but
what happened. While not unprecedented, what appears to have occurred this
weekend is a High pressure cell stationed over lower Michigan and Ontario
acted as a blocker, deflecting the winds to the west. I wouldn't be
surprised if the route up the Mississippi itself clear into Minnesota had
good bird numbers. The front stalled in central Ohio and should have brought
a variety of species to that region as seems to be the case from reports on
this list-serve.

So, what appears next? Weather forecast looks good for late this coming week
with temperature increases and lows in the 50s. This should be the second
pulse of the First Wave and could make up for the weak first pulse. Keep
your eyes on the weather predictions to make the best use of your limited
time to enjoy our visiting avian friends.

To follow what is happening in the migrant hotbeds along Lake Erie you can
monitor our daily bird list from the Navarre Banding Station on Ottawa NWR
at http://www.bsbo.org/passerine/pdf/navarre_spring_survey_2010.pdf  and the
actual bandings (with peaks and first/last dates)
http://www.bsbo.org/passerine/pdf/passerinebandspringnavarre.pdf

Also check Kenn Kaufan's Best Birding pages
http://www.bsbo.org/passerine/pdf/passerinebandspringnavarre.pdf and The
Bander's Blog  http://www.bsbo.org/bsbo_banders_blog.htm

So to schedule your trips (and illnesses if you need an excuse to get off
work) follow our updates and the weather. You too can predict the bigger
movement days.

Mark Shieldcastle
Research Director

Black Swamp Bird Observatory