From:
Nathaniel Nye <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nathaniel Nye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 2010 12:36:08 -0400
Good morning,

After several years of living in Ohio and searching for but missing
the Golden-winged Warbler, my hopes of seeing one had begun
to diminish because it's T-minus-12 days till my family and I move out to
Las Vegas.  Naturally, I was very excited last night see Jeff Grabmeier's
report of a Golden-winged Warbler at Highbanks, so drove up there early this
morning banking on the rain holding him there instead of continuing on his
migration.  This time I didn't come away empty-handed.  At 6:45am, I began
walking in the pouring rain along the section of the pet trail where it was
reported previously (near the 90-degree northward bend in the trail by the
entrance road).  I did hear a complex buzzy call that I had never heard
before (it wasn't the typical zzz- buzz-buzz-buzz song), but couldn't locate
it's source.  Eventually, after traversing that section of trail multiple
times, I heard the call again and saw a beautiful male Golden-winged Warbler
feeding in the shrubby trees.  Having located him, I was able to watch him
for about half an hour at close range, as he fed on caterpillars and
insects, often shaking off the rainwater from his back but clearly not
bothered by the precipitation.  Doug Cook soon came along and we were able
to admire this rare bird together for a while...a lifer for both of us.  Too
bad for the rain, cuz Doug probably could've gotten some great pictures of
it.

Other birds I saw along the pet trail include:
Yellow-rumped Warblers (~20)
Palm Warbler -1
Nashville Warbler -2
Black-throated Green Warbler -4
Hooded Warbler -1
Warbling Vireo -1
Scarlet Tanager -1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher -1
Eastern Bluebird -2
Brown Thrasher - 1
Northern Flicker -2
Red-bellied Woodpecker -1
Downy Woodpecker -1
plus Cardinals, chickadees, titmice, towhees, Blue Jays, white-throated sp,
song sp, field sp, R-w Blackbirds, cowbirds

Great way to start the day!

Good birding,
Nate Nye
Hilliard, OH