Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 2010 16:15:22 -0400
The Ruff was still present at Big Island Wildlife Area as of mid-afternoon. Linda and I ran into two friends who were also seeking the Ruff. At 12:30 PM I located it straight out from the observation platform on the north side of SR 95. Irene and Glen were delighted as were Linda and myself. The Ruff was on a spit of land between two areas of water. It nicely came out into the open for us. It was still in the area as of mid-afternoon. What was really surprising was finding it within 10 minutes after we began looking. Birds usually don't cooperate that nicely but who's complaining.

There were other shorebirds but many of them were staying in the tall grass to stay out of the wind which was gusting pretty strong at times. At the SR 95 platform we also observed Greater Yellowlegs, Lesser Yellowlegs and Killdeer. There may have been additional species but they were hunkering down in the grass. At Kerr Road we located a flock of 23 Dunlin feeding.

Over at Prospect-LaRue Road there were Sora and Virginia Rail.

Charlie Bombaci