From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 2010 06:40:53 -0400
Up here in northwest Ohio, the weather predictions can change as fast as the
weather itself.  But based on current forecasts, there should be an
excellent arrival of Neotropical migrants this Friday and Saturday, April 30
and May 1, in the migrant traps along the Lake Erie shoreline in n.w. Ohio
(Maumee Bay State Park, Metzger Marsh, Ottawa Natl Wildlife Refuge, Magee
Marsh, East Harbor State Park, Sheldon Marsh, etc.).

Right now (morning of Weds. 4/28) the temps are in the 30s and it will be
chilly again tonight, but by Thursday morning the winds should be shifting
to the south.  Thursday 4/29 might see a good movement of daytime migrants
along the lakeshore, including Blue Jays, swallows, flickers, and what's
left of the hawk flight.  With south winds continuing overnight Thursday, on
Friday morning 4/30 we may see the first really big numbers of the nocturnal
migrants of the Neotropical persuasion (warblers, vireos, tanagers, orioles,
etc.).  This is the second pulse of the First Wave, which Mark Shieldcastle
wrote about on this listserve a couple of days ago.  Mark predicted the
latter part of this week for the arrival, and the weather pattern appears to
be shaping up that way.

At this point I'm not sure about Sunday, but Friday and Saturday are looking
good, perhaps very good.  We'll be watching the weather and trying to update
predictions.  As usual, you can find more information on the websites of
Black Swamp Bird Observatory.  For birding site maps and directions, updates
on migration predictions, etc., go to:    http://www.bsbo.org/birding/

Detailed results from the banding stations and other research projects are
available via this and associated pages:
http://www.bsbo.org/passerine/passerine_migration_monitoring.htm

We're looking forward to seeing a lot of our returning birds, and a lot of
our returning birder friends, within the next few days!

Kenn Kaufman
Black Swamp Bird Observatory