Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 2010 12:56:03 -0400
I'll give them the weather conditions in the southeast as an excuse for being late but the Prothonotary Warblers are arriving at the Hoover Nature Preserve. This morning I visited several areas to monitor for their return and was greeted by the sounds of "SWEET, SWEET, SWEET, SWEET". Since it is too early for them to establish territories I didn't remain at any one area long as I wanted to determine their presence in different areas. Area N was the hot bed as I observed 11 males there. I also found them at Mud Hen Marsh, Oxbow Road, Wiese Road, Area L and Old Sunbury Road. Over the next seven days the numbers should increase daily and soon they should be easy to locate around the preserve.

The first Baltimore Orioles were also back.

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve