Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 2010 15:20:58 -0400
This morning activity was moderate but steady at Blendon Woods Metro Park [Northeast Franklin County].  If this delightful Metro Park is up to its norm activity should take off during the next few weeks. During the past 36 years I’ve found over 225 species at Blendon Woods and others such as Jim Fry have tallied even more. Last year’s highlight was a beautiful Brewster’s Warbler.

Some of the species observed this morning as we walked the Sugarbush, Brookside and Overlook Trails were:
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Cooper’s Hawk
Broad-winged Hawk – Being harassed by crows and Red-winged Blackbirds
Red-tailed Hawk
Wild Turkey – At Blendon Woods the description as “wild” turkeys is disputable
Pileated Woodpecker – 6 in all, 2 each in 3 different areas
Red-eyed Vireo – My FOY
Veery – My FOY
Wood Thrush -
Brown Thrasher
Yellow-rumped Warbler – Lots everywhere
Palm Warbler – Good numbers. Often mixing with the Yellow-rumps
Common Yellowthroat
Eastern Towhee – many everywhere
Field Sparrow
Indigo Bunting – MY FOY