From:
wendy rihner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
wendy rihner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 2010 19:44:43 -0700
Ohio Birders:
I am not sure why, but my email got marked as spam, which clearly it was not, so here goes again.
Many of you have asked about helping out down here. Well, as of yet, there have no calls for wildlife clean up. But now that the oil has officially reached our coast in Plaquemines Parish, that might change.
My colleague on the Orleans Audubon Society board is the LA IBA coordinator, and she is keeping everyone updated as much as possible.
If you would like, I can let anyone know who wishes to come down here to help. But nothing as of yet has been issued. If you would like to contact me offline, that would be great.
This is a serious, serious disaster. And for those birders in northern states, LA's coastline is vital for migratory birds. As our coast goes, so goes the habitat of millions of birds.
Our coastline is already fragile. If that oil reaches the grasses of the barrier islands, forget it. Birds, seafood, marine mammals, and even migratory insects will pay dearly. And let us not overlook the many men and women whose livelihoods that depend upon the Gulf Coast.
I ask that you keep us in your thoughts, and if there is a call for help, please do what you can.
Thanks.
Wendy RihnerMetairie, LA  (former Clevelander)