Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 2010 21:07:11 -0400
Today Jim Fry and I outdid the USPS and let neither rain, gale strength winds, tsunami sized waves or who pulled the plug on the wetlands keep us from having a decent day of birding. The weather was ugly. The rain was minimal. The wind reminded me of experiencing hurricanes when I lived in New England, the gusts at times almost pushing us backwards. At one location at Hoover Reservoir we were standing on an old bridge when two rouge waves crashed against it and sprayed us pretty good. Then when we got to Area A of the Delaware Wildlife Area the water that was there Thursday was missing. This was not an act of nature but rather man-induced. Possibly ODNR lowered the water level to attract shorebirds. We found a silver lining though as the large puddles held decent numbers of Green-winged Teal, Blue-winged Teal, Northern Shovelers, Greater Yellowlegs and a huge flock of Pectoral Sandpipers (estimate about 100+).

Species of interest by location included:

Westerville
Great Horned Owl (1 adult & 3 owlets)

Hogback Road
Osprey (2)