From:
Lee Underschultz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lee Underschultz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 2010 23:29:44 -0400
Firefly Hollow
Little Hocking, OH

I took a hike through the woods late this afternoon. Scared up some turkey
and deer. The Towhees are back in the woods. The males are in their best
courtship plumage. So bright and crisp and clean. When I got back to the
garden I was greeted by our two large dogs who continued to escort me around
the horse pasture. One of them caught a whiff of either the coyotes or the
deer and went bounding in to the creek area. It was amazing to see the
number of birds he flushed out. One of which was a quite annoyed Louisiana
Waterthrush. It sat perched in a tree doing its little tail bobbing dance
and chipping angrily. It finally settled down a little and graced us with
its mournful song. The Phoebes are back and starting on nest building as
there are telltale drops of mud near the front door. Not good when you've
set a block of stone to be sandblasted there.

The other thing I saw today was a couple of Juncos. They were absent through
all the snow but now they are here. Very strange.

Lee Underschultz
Firefly Hollow
Little Hocking, OH
www.fhsigns.com