From:
Kim Dolgin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kim Dolgin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 2010 09:24:41 -0400
Hi, all.

Yesterday my husband and I spent a few hours at the Wahkeena Nature
Preserve. If you don't know it, it is located just south of Lancaster off
of  Route 33. If you are not a member of the Ohio Historical Society, it
costs $5/car to enter. We think it is a lovely facility, and well worth it!
It features the hilly terrain of the Hockings and has a number of ponds
which are filled with singing frogs and toads, surrounded by birds, and one
of which has an active beaver lodge. It is only a few miles from Clear
Creek.

Wood Duck (2)
Turkey Vulture
Red-tailed Hawk
A juvenile broad-winged Hawk (we think, not a great look; not a red-tail)
Mourning Doves
Belted Kingfisher
Yellow Bellied sapsucker (pair)
Downies
Hairies
Pileated (heard, only)
Least flycatcher
Eastern Phoebe
American Crow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
American Robin
Winter Wren
Yellow-Rumped Warbler (2)
YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER (2)
Northern Cardinal
Eastern Towhee
Song Sparrow
House Sparrow
Red-winged Blackbird

And, as an added treat, a close up view of an injured captive red-tail and
an injured captive screech owl that they are caring for.

Kim

--
Kim Gale Dolgin
Professor of Psychology