From:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2010 10:33:44 -0400
Hi Everyone,

I made a quick visit to Shaker Lakes this morning before getting down
to work.

Mostly lots of American Robins and American Goldfinches and Red-
winged Blackbirds. Plenty of Tufted Titmice singing everywhere (the
goldfinches were also vocalizing a lot). I also saw:

Herring Gull—1, working Lower Lake the whole time I was there
Canada Goose
Wood Duck—1 pair
Mallard—about a dozen
Red-breasted Merganser—I female. I originally saw her with two male
and one female Mallard, and thought the poor thing was pretty
confused. But later, when I saw her among a group of half-a-dozen
male Mallards, I realized that she’s a rebel, and felt a lot better J
American Crow—several
Blue Jay—several
Dark-eyed Junco—a few
Song Sparrow—singing in several locations, and very active around the
marsh
Field Sparrow—several seen and a number singing pretty continuously
in the area south of Lower Lake where we go to look for warblers
(none yet)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet—half a dozen
Golden-crowned Kinglet—2
Eastern Phoebe—1
Northern Rough-winged Swallow—2 at the Coventry (i.e., west) end of
Lower Lake
Northern Cardinal—a few
Downy Woodpecker-1
Hairy Woodpecker-1
Rusty Blackbird—2 (I suppose they’re a pair—I first saw and heard a
male near the boardwalk on the north side of the marsh, and then saw
a female on the south side of the marsh)

Best wishes,

Steve Cagan
Cleveland Heights, Cuyahoga County

Steve Cagan, photographer