From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2010 12:00:01 -0400
Paul Gardner wrote:
>  A flock that size is a truly unimaginable spectacle.
> > A quick search on the net shows that Ohio has at least three place
> names that refer to pigeons:
> Pigeon Creek, northwest of Akron in  Summit County.
Pigeon Ridge, northwest of Amsterdam in Carroll  County.
Pigeon Run, southwest of Canton in Stark County.
> There may
> well be others. All of these are in the northeastern quadrant of the
> state, and they don't correspond to the three places Bill's source
> mentioned. I was surprised not to find any in the unglaciated
> southeastern part of the state.
> Paul Gardner Columbus, OH

Paul's right that such names can be good clues to memorable
concentrations of these birds in the old days. There are reports from SE
Ohio; these are some I've found:

        the Circleville Herald reported on 4/12/1861 that 215,000 pigeons had
been shipped that week in barrels to the east.

        an enormous movement of pigeons was reported from Marietta in 1806
(Cincinnati Commercial newspaper)

        a tract of forest "several hundred acres" in size was reportedly
crushed by a huge pigeon roost near Waterford in NW Washington County in
1810 (Harris, 1805)

I would be very grateful to receive old accounts of passenger pigeons,
especially large local movements or natural history details, in Ohio
from readers of this list. Please give full references or electronic
links to the original material.
Thanks much,
Bill Whan