From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2010 22:29:23 -0400
Coming back from Cincinnati to Columbus, I diverted off I-71 to check Deer Creek Lake and downstream areas of Deer Creek and nearby Darby Creek, looking for unusual migrants.  Most of this part of Fayette and Pickaway Counties is so open and tree-less that these river bottoms constitute the only major forested areas in the vicinity.  Water in the Lake and creeks was very high, so mudflats were non-existent in either location.  Interesting birds included:

Osprey - 1 on the platform at Pancoastburg was expected, but two other pairs around the Lake - one around the southern inlet, and another pair at the dam - made for a good number here

Vultures - small #s of Turkey Vultures everywhere, but I couldn't find any Black Vultures.  They've summered in this area in the recent past.

Kestrel - very few, suggesting that wintering birds have pulled out.  One bird calling around Westfall schools (north of Williamsport) could be a resident

Great Blue Herons - singles fishing at many spots along Deer Creek; Darby Creek, oddly enough, was too turbid for them to use.  The rookery next to the quarry along Crownover Rd (downstream from Deer Creek dam) is a going concern again with 12-14 nests.

Pileated Woodpecker - 1 was calling from the riparian woods below Deer Creek dam

Swallows - small numbers of Tree swallows were around Deer Creek lake, while single Rough-wings were at Williamsport (downstream of the dam) and Fox (on Darby Creek)

Gnatcatchers - sparse, with only a few individuals: below the Deer Creek Dam and along Darby Creek near Pherson and Fox.

Kinglets - single Golden-crowns were at many locations along both streams, suggesting a fair fallout of them last night.

Warblers - no Yellow-throated at several territories along both creeks, so they haven't returned to these areas yet.

Sparrows - Chipping and Field were widespread around Deer Creek, while a Vesper was hiding from the wind along McLain Mill Road near Fox.