From:
Heather Raymond <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Heather Raymond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 2010 12:17:24 -0700
Had a lovely morning walk at the Whittier today.  I posted a full e-bird generated list is at the end of this e-mail, but the highlights included first of season (for the area for me) eastern towhees, tree swallows, field sparrows (39!), chipping sparrows (19!), and red-winged blackbirds.  Was also happy to see 5 yellow-bellied sapsuckers, 4 yellow-rumped warblers (was hoping for a yellow-throat, but soon enough...) and a slew of flickers.  A few b. creepers, juncos, and white-throated sparrows are still hanging around, but probably not for long.  The ducks & gulls have pretty much cleared out.

As a side note, I was lucky enough to observe a yellow-bellied sapsucker at my home in Worthignton for three days straight.  I get them every spring and fall and they gravitate towards the shagbark hickories (hundreds of well holes).  After the flurry of big-year birding last year it was nice to just spend a few hours observing one species (a brilliant male that spent the entire time on one hickory, drilling a few new wells, and periodically visiting the old ones to drink up).  Really cool birds. I was curious if the same birds visit my backyard each season (they seem to know to go to the same favorite 3 trees!).

Also, for those of you who work or visit downtown Columbus be sure to "look up" for the peregrine falcons!   I was able to view some spectacular flying over the past few days, perhaps some type of courtship displays?

e-bird list
Location:    Scioto Audubon Metro Park--Lower Scioto Park
Observation date:    4/7/10
Number of species:    31

Canada Goose    14
Mallard    4