From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 2010 23:39:19 -0400
To add to the theme of temperate migrant fallout, I had a surprising number of migrants in a tiny forest patch in this southern Columbus suburb. Obetz is an area that was intensively farmed before being converted to housing and light industry, so there are very few wooded areas of any size here. The patch is in Memorial Park and is perhaps a half acre of scraggly woods along a railroad line.  It was the only patch of trees in the vicinity, so I had targeted it as a possible fallout patch last year while doing OBBA2 surveys.  In a brief 20-minute stop this afternoon, I had a few resident chickadees, wrens, and woodpeckers plus
2 Yellow-bellied sapsuckers
2 flickers
1 phoebe
1 Winter wren
2 Golden-cr.kinglets
1 Brown Thrasher
30+ Am.Robins
1 Yellow-rumpd warbler
3 E.Towhee
2 Field Sparrows
5 Chipping sparrows
15+ White-thr.sparrows
5 Common grackles
6-8 cowbirds

We're probably near the peak of temperate migrants now, with numbers of sapsuckers, kinglets, and sparrows at almost any patch of woods.  Not only are they a good spectacle in their own right, but you can search among them for early neotropicals that may have overwintered in the southern U.S./northern Mexico.